52주 - Tokyo

by - 19:55

I've now been in Korea for a full year! I spent my last few vacation days before the start of the new school year in Tokyo. It was my first time in Japan and it totally exceeded my expectations.
I arrived in Tokyo on Sunday evening, checked into my hotel, and went out in search of food. I discovered that there are Denny's restaurants there. Korea doesn't really do any type of American-style breakfast foods, so I had to have pancakes.

I got up early Monday morning and took the train to Shibuya, where the famously busy intersection is. Also in Shibuya are the Hachiko memorial statue and the 8-floor Tower Records store, which I got absolutely lost in.
Japan has the chillest stray cats in the world.
From Shibuya I walked to Yoyogi park, Yoyogi stadium, and Harajuku. After all that walking it was time to head back to the hotel and get ready to catch the bus to Tokyo Dome.
Fans who were staying at Tokyo Dome Hotel decorated their windows! I loved it. Some of them are really amazing.
Tokyo Dome is very strictly no cameras / no photography, so I didn't take any pictures inside the venue - the next 5 pictures weren't taken by me, I found them online posted by other fans. My seat was down on the floor, just to the left side of the center aisle. It was a great view.
Tokyo Dome is so big, the boys literally flew around the venue on hot(?) air balloons.
Tuesday morning I went out to Odaiba, a man-made island in the Tokyo Bay that has a lot of shops and restaurants. Cherry blossoms were already in bloom!
I forgot to bring sunglasses. Tragedy.
Next stop was Roppongi Hills, where I walked around, ate lunch, and went to the observatory at the top of Mori Tower to get a view of Tokyo Tower.
I went back to Tokyo Dome, even though I was unable to get a concert ticket for the second night. I took a ferris wheel ride to get a view of Tokyo Dome City, then got some coffee and found a good place outside to listen to the concert. That probably sounds pathetic, and it probably is pathetic, but there were a bunch of other fans who couldn't get tickets also sitting outside the venue listening to the concert, so at least I wasn't alone.
After the concert ended, I made the trip to the airport to wait for my 2am flight back to Seoul. My flight was filled with other SHINee fans going home after the concerts.
I was a bit worried about this trip because I didn't plan it at all - like, I didn't even know how I was going to get from the airport to my hotel until I landed in Tokyo. I also speak absolutely no Japanese. Everyone was incredibly nice, though, and I was able to get by just by thanking everyone profusely. The only thing I didn't like is the money. Why do you have so many coins, Japan? I came home with hundreds of yen in coins, so obviously I'll have to go back to Japan and use those up.

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. YOU LOOK GREAT HONEY. AND THE PICTURES ARE BEAUTIFUL. BUT YOU DIDN'T MENTION THE EARTHQUAKE!! SAVE THOSE COINS AND MAYBE I'LL JOIN YOU ON THE NEXT TRIP. LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU. KEEP THE POSTS COMING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nikki!

    Looks like you are having a great time. You only go around once, live it up and take it all in! We really enjoy the pics.

    Laura & Kim

    ReplyDelete