38주

by - 15:46

Happy Thanksgiving~ ^.^
I didn't do much to celebrate. I was going to make myself a thanksgiving dinner, but it was going to be expensive to buy all of the ingredients and it would have taken like 3 days to cook everything with my 2-burner stove and toaster oven. So instead I ate a grilled cheese sandwich and pretended it wasn't a holiday. It snowed here thanksgiving eve, though, so it kind of felt like a holiday anyway. 

I celebrated at school a little bit. Had my students do some thanksgiving word searches and I taught them the art of the hand turkey. They did okay.
I've done quite a few fun things since I posted last, so let's take it back to October 14th. I saw Taemin in concert again. He's unreal. Last time I saw him I had a floor ticket and was like 20 feet away. My seat this time was... a little farther from the stage.
Jonghyun (the husband) came to the show. He had a light stick in each hand and was dancing along. Toward the end of the concert Taemin mentioned that he was there and they found him in the crowd. Taemin asked, "What did you think of the concert?" Jonghyun answered but you couldn't really hear him. Taemin was like, "What? All I heard was 'yahhhyayaahh!'" The crowd got quiet and Jonghyun took a deep breath and yelled, "You're so cool!!!" so. loudly. I was very far away and yet I heard him perfectly. Incredible.
They have orange pumpkins here but they're quite expensive, so for Halloween I carved a pineapple. Bonus: I got to eat the pineapple. Not really a bonus: My cats really wanted to eat the pineapple. I had to hide it when I was leaving for the day.
Halloween was on a Tuesday, and me and my friend took a last-minute trip to Gangnam to do some shopping and get dinner. There were actually people walking around with costumes on and some Halloween parties happening in the city.
We went back to Seoul the next Saturday to see the Korea National Ballet. It was a performance of Anna Karenina. I watched the movie before we went since I'd never read the book. I didn't love the movie, but the ballet was really well done.
We were joking about how seeing a ballet made us feel like we were on a date, so we took a date proof shot~
An amazing thing happened last Saturday! My friend Stephy came to visit all the way from Atlanta! She stayed in Seoul while she was here, so I made the trip up Saturday and Sunday to see her.
On Saturday we went to Hongdae and stopped in at a raccoon cafe. I've been wanting to go to one since I moved here, but I didn't have anyone to go with and it would be awkward to go alone. They were terribly cute. I didn't realize raccoons were so big. I want one.
They were just like my cats. This guy was trying to get a hair tie out of my pocket.
That feeling when you meet a raccoon:
Another thing I've always wanted to do but couldn't do by myself - stop in the middle of the busy streets of Hongdae to take embarrassing pictures with the SHINee standees in front of The Saem store.
Stephy and I got some waffles and were standing in Hongdae watching street performers do k-pop dances. There were people yelling and a whole crew of bodyguards were walking towards us. I was like, "Stephy, look at all these bodyguards. Someone is coming this way." Literally the last person I expected it to be was Gordon Ramsay. He walked right past us and into the restaurant we were standing in front of. I was lowkey freaking out. I love Gordon Ramsay. I've watched every episode of Kitchen Nightmares and this year's season of Master Chef twice since I moved here. I spent about 10 minutes just standing there going, "Oh my god?!! Gordon Ramsay! right! there!"
After that excitement we went back to Stephy's hotel and picked up her aunt, who walked with us to see the Seoul Lantern Festival set up at the Cheonggyecheon. Since Korea is getting ready for Pyeongchang in a few months, a lot of the lanterns were Olympics-themed.
I met up with Steph again on Sunday afternoon. We were attempting to go to Ehwa Women's University area but Kakao Maps led us a bit astray and we found all of this amazing yarn bombing down some side alleys. There were also lots of giant Suhorangs - the Olympic bear (tiger?) mascot - to take pictures with. 
We made it to Sinchon, walked around a bit, and got dinner at a restaurant where Stephy's friends work.
Spotted at a bus stop : True Art.
This mural is of Ha Hyun-woo, the singer of Guckkasten - one of my favorite Korean rock bands that I've seen in concert here. I don't know why it's here, but it's great. Looks exactly like him ^.^
I saw Stephy again on Wednesday for the last time before she returned to the states. Her and her family came out to Yongin, walked around the market, and then we went out of town to a Buddhist temple that's a little bit famous in my area. Afterwards we went for galbi.
I'm seeing EXO in concert tomorrow, so depending on how strict they are about cameras during the show I might be able to update again soon.

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. I missed you terribly at Thanksgiving honey and I promise when you come home I will make all your favorite foods. We'll have turkey in February! So glad Steph was able to visit you. And finally.....NO....you cannot have a pet raccoon I don't care how cute they are! I remember the baby squirrel, the baby birds, the hermit crabs and the hamsters, and you managed to sneak in that stray cat resulting in "the boys". No raccoons but I am ready for another dog when you get home. LOVE YOU, MISS YOU, WHEN WILL YOU BE HOME? (I'm remodeling your apartment and want to make sure I have it finished in time).

    ReplyDelete