82주 - Busan

by - 17:04

Last week was the Chuseok holiday (basically Korean thanksgiving) and my friend and I went to the southern coastal city of Busan for vacation. Everyone travels home to spend the holiday with their families, so reserving bus/train tickets can be a nightmare. We managed to get tickets for one of the slower trains, which was a 4 hour trip. I can't really complain because I read a whole book on the train - Malice by Keigo Higashino, which I recommend.

We arrived Sunday evening and went to Bay 101 in Haeundae.
Monday was the actual holiday, and we spent most of the afternoon at Haedong Yonggungsa (해동 용궁사), a seaside temple. The bus ride there was packed. The temple was super crowded. And there were a lot of steps. I obviously had some complaints.
We went back to our hostel and napped for an hour before picking up fried chicken and beer and watching the sunset at Gwangalli beach (광안리해수욕장).
The next day me, my friend, and our two roommates from the hostel walked around Gamcheon Culture Village (부산 감천문화마을). It's basically just a residential area with brightly painted houses and art installations, lots of food stands, and touristy souvenier shops.
After we got back to the hostel, I walked to Haeundae and sat on the beach for a bit. The water is still warm enough to swim, but Korea is really weird about their beaches. Like, you can swim in the ocean from July 1st to August 31st, and that's it. It doesn't matter if the weather is nice before or after then, no one is swimming. I walked in up to my knees without anyone yelling at me, surprisingly.
After the beach, I met back up with my friend and we went downtown and got barbeque for dinner, sang karaoke, and walked around the shopping/clubbing area until like 2am, then we came home the next day.
Bonus : the hostel we stayed at had 2 cats.

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. OMG! what's the obsession with POOP? I just don't get it. Who wants to eat poop shaped bread! LOL. LOVE YOU NIK. Can't wait to see you in January. Best Birthday present EVER.

    ReplyDelete