32주 - Denise Does South Korea

by - 11:51

WARNING/DISCLAIMER: This blog entry does NOT reflect the views or opinions of its administrator.

Nikki has graciously (I really mean reluctantly after much nagging) allowed me to write in her blog about our week together. (Subject to her editing, of course, in the event I say anything embarrassing or inappropriate; which I may have already done with my title.) (Editor's note: It's all embarrassing. So I just opted not to change anything except for some grammatical issues. I even left in all your stream-of-consciousness-style switches between past and present tense, even though it stresses me out when I read it.)
Let me start by saying Thank You Nikki. Because of You, I drove to New York JFK airport, traveled 14 1/2 hours and 7,000 miles all by myself. A major accomplishment (and a first) for me. South Korea was NOT on my bucket list of places to go. But it was wonderful and I'm so glad I did. If not for you, I wouldn't have been to LA, Chicago, or South Korea. So I THANK YOU for all the experiences and joy you have brought into my life. You make me a better person. You've also proven to me you can speak fluent Korean (well almost - I couldn't get mushrooms on my steak because you didn't know how to say it in Korean. Maybe next time.) (Editor's note: I am in no way fluent in Korean. The word for "mushrooms" is one of many Korean words I do not know. I often get by using charades.)
So, on with my story:
Days 1 & 2: Friday, September 29th & Sunday, October 1st
Worked all day. Drove to JFK. Drank some wine while nervously waiting for my 1 am flight. Thought I could sleep on the plane but that didn't happen. Landed in South Korea at 4 am Sunday morning (seem to have lost Saturday "in the cloud" - and all my coworkers know how I just LOVE those clouds!). After breaking into tears when I saw Nikki, taking the subway, then the bus, walking several blocks to her apartment, then climbing 3 flights of stairs (all while carting around my luggage), I was a hot mess (not the too-much-alcohol hot mess but the post-menopausal version). I couldn't wait to take a shower and change my clothes. We arrived at Nikki's apartment at 7:30 am and rested until 11:30. We met Nikki's boss/co-teacher for lunch. She couldn't say enough about how wonderful Nikki was (but I already knew that). It sounds like Nikki is doing a great job as a teacher and it's so nice to know that her boss and others from the school are looking out for Nikki since she's so far from home. Post lunch - I asked Nikki how I was talking with her boss. She said I did good - (that's because she didn't understand some of what I was saying....... LOL!).
After lunch Nikki and I walked through the Yongin Market. It was a maze of street vendors, food, clothing, etc. I felt like Anthony Bourdain as we walked through the streets. But I'm not as brave as he as I wasn't eating a lot of what they were cooking up, sorry. Walked through E-Mart (one of Nikki's favorite shopping places) and returned to her apartment around 5 pm. The Plan: watch some TV and rest, then go back out for a shared dessert. The Reality: woke up at midnight, talked a while, and went back to sleep. You see, Nikki was at the airport all night Saturday waiting for me to arrive at 4 am so she was tired too.
Day 3 - Monday, October 2nd
After a much needed (by both) sleep marathon, woke up at 7 am feeling like my 29-year-old self and ready to go!!! Coffee and breakfast at McDonald's. We're off to Seoul for the day and staying in a B&B. Took the bus to Seoul enjoying the views. Mountains, gardens, skyscrapers, and lots of little cars and motorbikes. Dropped our bags at the B&B and visited Gyeongbuk Palace. Walked through the Tongin Market, took a cable car to Namsan Tower. 11 pm we arrived back at our room for shower and bed. Well, I woke up feeling 29 and by 2 pm I was feeling 99. OMG... we walked, and we walked, and we walked. 14 miles (per Nikki's app). Can you say, "where did I pack my Advil?"
The B&B Nikki chose was Vine Guesthouse. The home was over 100 years old and belonged to the owner's parents. Nikki wanted me to have the full Korean experience and our B&B was perfect for that. We slept on the floor, breakfast was served at a long table which required sitting on the floor, and we had to take our shoes off for everything. (NOTE TO SELF - don't wear tie shoes next time and don't walk 14 miles then have to sleep and sit on the floor. Next time splurge and get room with waterbed, hot tub, massage therapist.)
Day 4 - Tuesday, October 3rd
Woke up at 6 am, downed Advil and went back to sleep until 8:30. Breakfast, consisting of dumpling soup, kimchi, and melon was served at 9 am. DARN, I got there late and the traditional floor table was full with other guests so I had to sit at the little round table in the courtyard :) . 
Checked out at 11 am and walked some more. It wasn't as hot today so we rented Hanbok (traditional Korean clothing). THAT was the most fun part of our week. In the dressing room, trying on different colors, outfits, head pieces and purses. Of course, dressing me was a bit of a challenge because they're not used to us full-figured girls in Korea. Amazingly, we both got fitted in our outfits and off we went for 3 hours. We walked over to Changdeok Palace where we spent a couple hours walking around. I've never had my picture taken so much. Many Korean people were requesting us to pose with them, especially cute blonde Nikki. 
An English-speaking girl offered to take our picture together and we ended up spending the rest of the afternoon with her. Rebecca is a college student in Seoul but her home is Berlin, Germany. Nikki now has an invite to go there and she did have 4 years of German in school. (HEY - count me in for that trip!) We also walked up the hill and around the residential section to see all the traditional homes. 
Ate dinner with Rebecca, got some ice cream, and ended our evening at the Riverwalk throwing coins into the fountain and making wishes. Caught the 7 pm bus back to Nikki's apartment.
Day 5 - Wednesday Oct 4th
Up at 7 am, Advil and meds. Nikki and the boys still sleeping so I read my book until 9 am. Coffee, Paris Baguette, then shower, laundry, and get dressed. Took the bus out to Nikki's school. Her school is about a 30 minute bus ride from her apartment. OMG,  it's so nice. Brand new building, beautiful classrooms, high tech equipment for the kids. Sits way up on a hill out in the country with beautiful views of the fields and mountains. After getting the tour of the school, we headed back to the apartment to regroup, then off to Everland. Everland is an amusement park located in Yongin. Walked around there several hours and decided to head back for dinner. Ate at an "Italian Restaurant" called Jcobs located in Yongin.
Day 6 - Thursday Oct 5th
After my morning Advil and coffee we are off to Seoul to see SHINee today! Saw a 2 hour "concert" in surround sound theater at SM Town (Nikki's favorite hangout and where she spend all her time and money). From there we went to Lotte Tower and Lotte Mall (about 5 times the size of King of Prussia). Ate dinner at "On The Border"... I asked Nikki WHAT border (LOL) just to be sure we weren't getting too far north. And she matter-of-factly told me the border of MEXICO. So, I had my one and only margarita of the week (but it had sugar on the rim instead of salt).
I also ordered a steak, mashed potatoes, and broccoli. I wanted mushrooms on my steak but that wasn't happening, not this trip anyway. After dinner, we walked down to the Han River and walked along watching the sunset. It was absolutely beautiful there. Took the 9 pm bus home. Not sure how many miles we walked today but it was a few.
Day 7 - Friday, October 6th
FINALLY,  a day of rest. Nikki had planned a trip to Suwon, but we slept in until 11:30 and lay around all afternoon watching movies, talking, reading, and playing with "the boys." At 5 pm we walked through the street marketplace and around Yongin. Enjoyed Korean BBQ and went back to the room to watch "Ghostbusters."
Day 8 - Saturday Oct 7th (my last full day with Nikki)
Enjoyed a leisurely morning, coffee and breakfast with Nikki. Packed up all my belongings and started crying when it was time to say goodbye to the cats! (YES, hard to believe I really will miss the cats. But not the cat hair - although I'm taking home quite a bit of it as a souvenir of my stay.) Took the bus into Seoul. Our bus encountered a slight detour as there was a protest/demonstration going on and the traffic was all backed up. Not sure what they were protesting but it was very interesting to see. Finally after getting off the bus and taking the subway we reached our destination. Well almost; we walked several blocks and checked into the Amanti Hotel. Very upscale! Even had white robes and slippers for the guests (Yep, I'm feeling like a rich B'otch now!). I asked Nikki how she came to find this as her selection, well because of the guys that do the commercial and advertise for it (of course).
We were near the college so it was packed with kids, food, stores, more food, street vendors, more kids, and more food vendors. We stopped to get a cocktail from a little "vinyl" shop. The drinks came in little vinyl pouches and you could take them out with you. 
We tried a few items from the food vendors, did a little window shopping, and ended up getting our "last supper" together.... McDonald's!!! In Nikki's defense, all the food places were packed and we did eat at the street vendors and a burger really did sound good to me after a week of "Korean food." (Editor's note: In my defense, I just really wanted McDonald's.) So no complaints. Back to our room for our final sleepover night.
Day 9 - Sunday, October 8th
Set alarm for 5:30 am. Showered and dressed. Walked a few blocks to subway. Got to the airport, checked in and at 9 am Nikki and I went for coffee and some food. Now comes the hardest part of my trip..... saying goodbye. As if I weren't congested enough from cat hair, all the crying didn't help.
Summary
I totally enjoyed our week together and I can see why Nikki likes being there. So glad I was able to enjoy the experience with her. Looking forward to that trip to Germany or how about Paris (you did take French in school, too).

You May Also Like

0 comments