18주 - SMTown Live 2017, Guckkasten

by - 23:44

Another concert post~ and it was another weekend with concerts both Saturday and Sunday. (I was tired.)
On Saturday the 8th I went to Seoul World Cup Stadium to see SMTown Live. SM Entertainment is a huge entertainment company here and there are quite a few artists signed under them - including SHINee and EXO, as well as two of my favorite girl groups. I've actually seen this concert before - they came to Madison Square Garden back in 2011. I think it was the second kpop concert I attended. EXO hadn't debuted yet, and f(x) still... existed.
I got there early because there were a ton of things to do before the show - they had a whole area of tents set up with activities. There was even a karaoke tent. It was raining on and off all day, so I had reason to buy the SHINee rain coat I'd been eyeing up a few months ago.
Ticketing for these shows is a bit different. There were 10 groups/artists who performed and each artist has their own fandom, so before ticketing takes place they release basically a seating chart that says if you're in this fandom buy your ticket in this section, so that fans of each artist are sitting together. The show sold out before I could get a ticket. I actually got my ticket about 2 weeks after the show sold out by being on the website at 1 am when luckily, for some reason, a seat became available. I ended up being in what was apparently a multifandom section for people who were just lucky to have gotten tickets - perfect. EXO section was to my right and SHINee section was to my left, so I held my EXO lightstick in my right hand and my SHINee lightsticks in my left hand and just went crazy.
Luna - Free Somebody
This next video is absolutely not mine, but I'm not posting my video because it's really just me yelling the lyrics. Jonghyun (the husband) performed one of his solo songs, so if anyone is interested in what the four solo shows of his that I went to were like, this is it.
OH! The most amazing thing happened! One of the members of Super Junior recently did a collaboration with a duo called UV, who are not in SM Ent., but they performed at the concert. I was not expecting it at all. They had this amazing entrance on stage and I was just like, "..no way...". After they performed the new song with the Super Junior guy they did Itaewon Freedom. Itaewon Freedom is my JAM and I never, ever thought I would see it performed live. This happened like 3 weeks ago and I'm still not over it. I was, without a doubt, the loudest foreigner in that stadium during Itaewon Freedom. I can't post my fancam of it because it's just me yelling.
SHINee - Replay
SHINee- Sherlock
I have to post this other SHINee video that is not mine because the fanchants here are amazing, and the SHINee fan section was to the left side of the venue so the boys kept pointing over that way and singing to them and throwing hearts. You can't really see that in my video. They're such hams?
About a week before this concert, President Obama was in Seoul for a conference and he mentioned SHINee in a speech he gave. SHINee heard about it and one of the members posted a message to Obama on his sns. The whole exchange was brought up during the show, and they put pictures of Obama giving his speech up on the screens. In that moment, I was proud to be an American.

The whole thing is extra funny because for the past few years it's been a running joke among kpop fans that Obama's favorite kpop group is SHINee, so for Obama to actually mention them was like confirmation - the joke became real.
EXO performing Drop That live never gets old.
I forgot that this concert is like 9 days long... and almost didn't make the last bus home. Actually I totally missed the last bus home. The subway stopped running, too, so I took a cab to Gangnam, because I figured if I was going to spend the night chilling in a 24-hour McDonald's waiting for buses to start running in the morning, I should be in a Gangnam McDonald's. Luckily I made it into Gangnam in time to catch a different bus that goes to the town I live in but drops off on the other side of town. So I eventually made it home after a long walk across town at 2:30 am.

After barely making it home Saturday night, I got back on a bus to Seoul on Sunday to see Guckkasten play Olympic Park Hall. Another band that I've liked for years but never thought I'd have the opportunity to see live. I don't even have words for how amazing the vocalist of this band is.
Guckkasten - Mirror
Guckkasten - 한잔의 추억
Guckkasten - 한잔의 추억
You might notice in this last video that... there's no one on stage. This was after the encore. The crowd just didn't leave. Like, the band had probably left the building and we were all still standing there like maybe, just maybe they would come back on stage. The guys in the booth ended up playing a few songs for us, stage lights and TV screens included, and everyone danced like the concert was still going.
Guckkasten - Sink Hole

You May Also Like

0 comments