11주 - SHINee Day

by - 21:38

IIIIT'S SHINEE DAY!
I thought I'd do this in a separate post. This is just the kpop concert I went to, so anyone who's not interested can skip this post. 'Cause it's about to get emo.
SHINee is the group that got me into kpop wayyy back in late 2009. You can thank them for my madness.
They debuted on May 25th, 2008, so on Sunday they held a fanmeeting to celebrate their 9th anniversary. Many kpop groups do not make it to 9 years, especially with all original members still in the group, so it's kind of a big deal.
The fanmeeting was in a gymnasium on the grounds of Korea University. I found out the hard way that it's a giant campus - I trekked all across it looking for the gym and eventually found it after walking half a mile up a steep hill. It was a lovely downhill walk with nice views of the city walking back home, though!
I got there about 3 hours before the show. Bought merch, ate some street food, got some sunburn. There were so many people wearing SHINee blue and things with pineapples, I loved it.
tfw you have time to kill but don't speak Korean well enough to make friends.
The view from my seat.
I didn't take this picture but see if you can find me in it. It's super difficult, I blend right in :
When the guys first came out, I took a short video, then I realized that no one else had their phones out and that there were security guards everywhere. Clearly it was one of those events where if you get caught taking pictures you get kicked out, so I put my phone away.
The boys performed a ballad (Your Name), then some couches were brought out and they chatted with the MC for a bit. I felt like I was taking a Korean listening exam.
Some video clips were played of their concerts in the USA and of memorable moments in SHINee's past (including the above Memories of Replay video which has clips from the Madison Square Garden show I went to!), they performed another ballad (투명우산), and they did CRAFTS. They each got a mirror and some clay and they had to decorate the mirror. It was hilarious. Jonghyun just looked like he was making a mess, Onew coated his mirror with clay so thick it probably weighs like 5 pounds, and TAEMIN. He's so precious. He shaped what looked exactly like a pile of poop out of some brown clay and then just plopped it on top of his mirror. He said it was hair, I don't believe him. The mirrors were then raffled off to fans at the end of the show. The girl who got Taemin's mirror posted this - it got a little squished apparently but what on Earth...
SHINee Day cake~ Also, could Minho LOOK any happier? Look at that face!!
When the staff brought the cake out, all of the fans had banners that we held up with a message for the boys on it, but they were so busy looking at the cake and trying to touch it and talking about how big the cake was that they didn't notice we were holding banners up, so the crowd had to yell to get the boys to look at the banner event.
I think my favorite part was when the crowd was split into teams to cheer the guys on while they played games. They played rock-paper-scissors to determine what their number was, then each member had different sections of the crowd on their team. My section was Team Jonghyun, of course. Staff brought out one of those arcade basketball games and the boys competed to see who could score the most points. Jonghyun did okay, but Onew won. Next, they played whack-a-mole. Onew won again! Apparently arcade games are one of leader's many talents.
They performed View and 1of1 back-to-back and it was LIT. It was my first time being a part of the Korean fanchants when it's on that level. Like at SHINee's USA show a lot of people did the fanchants, but at Korean shows it's EVERYONE and it is IMPRESSIVE. I, of course, did the American kpop fan thing of singing every word of the song as well as yelling the fanchants. That takes skill. Last song of the night was An Ode to You (너의 노래가 되어).
I didn't take either of these pictures, but I'm in them. If you squint.
Aaand the short videos I took. One before the concert when the crowd was singing, the second during SHINee's first song.


You May Also Like

0 comments